Phuket is a top destination for those travelling to Thailand on holiday. Many vacationers opt to visit only Phuket. It has all of the modern comforts that one could ask for, and it holds a stunning array of blue waters, beaches, temples, and natural beauty.
However, being a top tourist destination also means that the best hotels and tours become fully booked far in advance, and car rentals on Patong Beach are no exception. Nevertheless, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of getting the car you want.
Renting in High Season
The tourist high season for Thailand is from November to April. This is the dry season in Thailand, and sunny skies are nearly guaranteed. Tourists who wish to visit Phuket during this season must book well in advance.
While there is no set rule for how far in advance someone must book, the earlier, the better. This isn’t to say there will be no rentals available at all, but the selection may be limited. Furthermore, it may be necessary to call a few locations or only be able to rent on certain days.
Booking well in advance also means having the opportunity to take advantage of early booking promotions. Typically, hotels and rental agencies offer discounts to those who book in advance. This is only available to a limited number of people, and being first in line guarantees first pick.
The Rainy Season: Fewer Crowds, Better Selection
Off-season travel has several perks. Everything is cheaper in the off-season; less demand means lower prices as businesses compete for customers. Guests will often find they have an entire floor of a resort to themselves.
It also means not having to wait in line at popular attractions. Photography enthusiasts can get stunning shots of popular places with nary a person to be seen. This can make for some jaw-dropping Instagram shots that would otherwise be impossible with the crowds of high season.
Travellers who wish to rent a car in Thailand will find a wider selection of vehicles at prices much lower than in the high season.
The Reality of the Rains
While there is a solid chance that it will rain every day of your visit, that does not mean it rains all day. Rain showers are common in early mornings and late afternoons, and it is usually drier from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
These showers typically come and go quickly–a sudden rainstorm will appear out of nowhere and then disappear after twenty or thirty minutes. These rain storms can be a blessing, as they often lower the temperature by several degrees and help keep everything cool.
Where the Road Takes You
Regardless of what time of year you visit, there are many possibilities for things to do in Thailand. Having a rental car means accessing these sights at your own pace and with your own itinerary.
The Popular Sites
Phuket is primarily known for its beaches, but there is plenty to do once you get bored of the beach. These include:
- The Big Buddha: Situated on the south end of the island is one of the largest Buddha statues in Thailand. Standing forty-five metres tall, the statue towers over the hills of southern Phuket.
- Phuket Town: This is a charming area of the old Phuket that existed long before Patong beach grew into the tourist mecca it is today. Walk the original Phuket and see what cultural delights await.
- Phang Nga Bay: The towering limestone karsts rising dramatically from the bay serve as the backdrop for many of the tourist magazine photos you might see when considering a trip to Thailand.
The true advantage of a rental car is being able to visit sites further out that tour agencies don’t offer as part of their itineraries. Here are a few worth checking out:
- Khao Sok National Park: This park is similar to Phang Nga Bay, but less touristy, with freshwater rather than salt water. Take a leisurely boat ride and enjoy lunch at a floating bamboo village or visit the caves on a short jungle trek.
- Krabi: This is another city with its own airport, and is a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Phuket. It holds famous sites, such as the Tiger Temple and the world-famous Railay Beach.
The Freedom to Explore
Regardless of where you choose to go in your rental car, Drive Car Rental has the car you need at prices you can afford. With convenient locations throughout Thailand, you can book a car virtually anywhere. Just be sure to book in advance to secure the best rates and vehicle choices, and your dream trip can become a reality!