Electric vehicles (EVs) are quickly catching up to their gas-powered competitors in sales. Across the globe, electric cars are accounting for ever larger percentages of both new car sales and vehicles on the road.
EVs are attractive for a variety of reasons. Chief among them is the benefit to the environment, but they have several benefits that may not be immediately apparent. For one, they have very few moving parts that are subject to wear and tear, making their larger upfront cost worth the cost.
Secondly, electric vehicles offer an enormous cargo capacity compared to other vehicles, thanks to the space saved under the hood. Those looking to rent an electric vehicle in Bangkok might have some reservations regarding the range, but rest assured–the newest models have come a long way from the early days of EVs.
Electric Vehicles Offered by Drive Car Rental
At Drive Car Rental, we have several models of electric vehicles available. All of our offerings come with a considerable range, with some able to go up to over 650 kilometres. Here is a list of fully electric models currently on offer:
- BYD Atto Extended: A mid-size SUV, typically seating up to five passengers, with a range of up to 480 kilometres
- BYD Dolphin Extended: This compact hatchback with seating for five is good for driving the narrow streets of Bangkok and has a range of up to 490 kilometres
- Tesla Model 3: A compact luxury sedan with seating for five passengers–this is the longest range we offer at up to 680 kilometres
- Tesla Model Y: A compact crossover SUV, offering seating for up to seven passengers with optional folding third-row seats, with a range of up to 533 kilometres
We also offer a selection of hybrid vehicles for those who want to keep fuel costs to a minimum while being more environmentally friendly. For those venturing into remote areas of Thailand where e-charging availability is limited, these are excellent options.
- Nissan Kicks E-Power: A subcompact crossover SUV delivers excellent fuel economy with an electric-assisted gasoline engine
- Mercedes C300-E: Full-size sedan offering the ultimate in luxury with one hundred kilometres of electric-only range and excellent fuel economy in hybrid mode.
- Honda Civic E-HEV Hybrid: A sports sedan with phenomenal fuel efficiency, thanks to its hybrid engine
As you can see, we have a wide range of offerings available for environmentally-conscious customers. We offer both fully-electric and hybrid vehicles in order to offer the best selection.
It is important to note that the battery life of an electric vehicle and ranges stated assume ideal driving conditions. Individual ranges may vary based on driving habits and factors such as steep roads or heavily-laden vehicles. To make the most of your electric vehicle experience in Thailand, always be sure to charge up fully before any long journey.
Does Thailand Have Electric Vehicle Charging?
First-time visitors to Thailand are often surprised at the quality of infrastructure throughout the country. Not only does Thailand have an extensive road network, but it is well-maintained, far surpassing other Southeast Asian nations.
Two-lane highways connect all of Thailand’s large cities, and even in remote areas, visitors will find that nearly all roads are paved. This quality of infrastructure is a key reason manufacturers from around the world have decided to set up operations in Thailand.
Thailand’s commitment to infrastructure also extends to EVs. A brief internet search will turn up thousands of charging stations across Thailand. They are centred around the cities, but are also available at several locations along major highways.
Thailand and its EV manufacturers are installing thousands more EV charging stations each year as part of the Thailand 4.0 initiative. With a bit of planning, you can have just as much fun in an electric car as you would with a traditional gasoline car.
Book Your EV Early for the Widest Selection
Thailand’s tourism high season runs from November to April, and vehicles available for rent during this time may be limited. To ensure you get the vehicle you desire, book as far ahead in advance as possible. While the rainy season is less busy, Thailand has a significant domestic tourism market that frequently makes use of rental cars. Even in the slower times of year, it is always wise to book in advance if you plan to rent your own car in Bangkok!